Thursday, October 16, 2014

The cure is...now?

How many times have you heard: There will be a cure in 5 years...In the next 20 years nobody will have diabetes anymore...They are so close to finding an answer! 

I have heard this way too many times. After awhile I think I just began to zone it out. At my first endocrinologist appointment after a rough hospital stay (read my diagnosis story) I was shaking and crying as my nurse tried to check my blood sugar. It was too painful to get my finger pricked and I was not afraid to be defiant. Looking back at that image of myself makes me laugh and think "wow, you have no idea what is coming." The nurse tried to console me and started the well-rehearsed soothing lines... It is really okay. There will be a cure for diabetes in the next 10 years. It will be in your lifetime, you are going to be fine.

That was the first thing that made me perk up since being diagnosed. Maybe it wouldn't be too bad after all. Now, after living with diabetes for over 5 years it really just makes me laugh when I hear someone say that. You could say I have a negative outlook, but I think I am just realistic to a fault.

We have seen data on pancreas transplants, the bionic pancreas, different diets, etc. and things look promising, but not all that great. I was surprised this week when I read an article about these scientists at Harvard that are mass-producing new fully functioning beta cells. Check it out here. Beta cells are what produce insulin. Auto-immnune disease attacks these cells, and then we are left with manually injecting insulin into our bodies. Here is my favorite blunt quote from the article:

“A lot of the complications associated with manual insulin monitoring can lead to a lower quality of life.” Jeffrey Millman, a doctor in this research study 


Spot on, Jeffrey.

My biggest fear has always been that I will live for the discovery of how to stop T1 diabetes, but not be here for the day doctors learn to cure people already diagnosed with it. This research is exciting because the scientists were already able to rapidly cure one mouse in the experiment with their new cells. It is also exciting because I am an auto-immune cocktail recipe for disaster.

This is a huge breakthrough for the T1 community and for health research in general. If it is a potential cure, it will be years before we can get our hands on it. However, I am keeping my fingers crossed.

The DiaBlogger


1 comment:

  1. There are some natural remedies that can be used in the prevention and elimination of diabetes totally. However, the single most important aspect of a diabetes control plan is adopting a wholesome lifestyle Inner Peace, Nutritious and Healthy Diet, and Regular Physical Exercise. A state of inner peace and self-contentment is essential to enjoying a good physical health and overall well-being. The inner peace and self contentment is a just a state of mind.People with diabetes diseases often use complementary and alternative medicine. I diagnosed diabetes in 2014. Was at work feeling unusually tired and sleepy. I borrowed a glucometer from a co-worker and tested at 760. Went immediately to my doctor and he gave me prescriptions like: Insulin ,Sulfonylureas,Thiazolidinediones but I could not get the cure rather to reduce the pain and bring back the pain again. I found a woman testimony name Comfort online how Dr James cure her Herpes virus and I also contacted the doctor and after I took his medication as instructed, I am now completely free from Diabetes by doctor Dr James herbal medicine.So diabetes patients reading this testimony to contact his email drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com or his Number +2348152855846 He also use his herbal herbs to diseases like:SPIDER BITE, SCHIZOPHRENIA, LUPUS,EXTERNAL INFECTION, COMMON COLD, JOINT PAIN, EPILEPSY,STROKE,TUBERCULOSIS ,STOMACH DISEASE. ECZEMA, PROGERIA, EATING DISORDER, LOWER RESPIRATORY INFECTION, DIABETICS,HERPES,HIV/AIDS, ;ALS, CANCER , MENINGITIS,HEPATITIS A AND B,ASTHMA, HEART DISEASE, CHRONIC DISEASE. NAUSEA VOMITING OR DIARRHEA,KIDNEY DISEASE, WEAK ERECTION.,PAINFUL OR IRREGULAR MENSTRUATION.Dr James is a good man and he heal any body that come to him. here is email drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com and his Number +2348152855846

    ReplyDelete