Tuesday, March 5, 2013

HASHiMOTO



Hashi..whaaaat?

Yes. My body seems to have a things for diseases with asian names. Starting with my diagnosis of Kawasaki disease back in 2010, I have had a strange path of foreign-born illnesses.

However, Hashimoto is very common with us diabetic people. I knew that eventually I would be diagnosed with this thyroid disease, I just did not realize how soon it would sneak up on me.

When I recently visited my doctor, she instructed me to start taking Levothyroxine. I was very excited because I had clearly been gaining weight and been blaming my own laziness. It was nice to blame my thyroid for packing on the pounds rather than myself (lazy...right?).

My dad has recently started taking a thyroid pill as well, and we were shocked to learn all the details about taking a pill for hypothyroidism. There are some very strict rules when it comes to taking thyroid medication that I was pretty unaware of. I have done some research and here is my list of things YOU SHOULD KNOW if you are treating Hashimoto, or taking a pill to help your thyroid activity:


  • Take pill as a single dose, 
  • Take on an empty stomach, 
  • Take in the morning, one-half to one hour before breakfast. 
  • Take with a FULL glass of water
  • Do not take with other medications. It can make the thyroid pill less effective. 
  • Many experts recommend you take vitamins or supplements with iron at least two to three hours apart from thyroid hormone. Iron can interfere with thyroid hormone absorption if taken too close together.
  • You should avoid infant soy formula, cotton seed meal, walnuts, and high-fiber foods while taking medication.


Following these rules have been difficult for me considering I wake up at different times each morning and usually start my day with a multivitamin. However, I have been doing alright for the most part and have seen great results.

happy bolusing...

The DiaBlogger

No comments:

Post a Comment