Tuesday, April 2, 2013

How to make your GPA a 7.0

As we all know, each time we strut into our endocrinologist's office we aim to walk out with a good report. At least a 7.0, correct?

When first diagnosed, my AIC was always around a 6.3, which my doctors were extremely impressed with. However about a year ago, I was sitting at about an 8.6 which was not favorable.

A few weeks ago, I tested at a 6.4 I think. My doctors were excited until they saw all of my consistently low blood sugars. Clearly my AIC was not reflective of good control but rather many miscalculations.

My goal for the spring is to incorporate new habits into my everyday life that will help me consistently stay in the 70-40 BG range.


1. Always have access to glucose tablets.
-A glucose tablet has a set amount of carbs in it that you can control. It is better than just popping in a piece of candy because it will always have the same amount of carbs. This allows you to have better control. Instead of reaching for the first piece of food you see when you have a low blood sugar, try to reach for glucose tablets that you have made easily available.

2. Count and eliminate carbs.
-Counting carbs is always important. No doctor would recommend completely eliminating carbs from a diet because carbohydrates are essential to the body. However, eliminating heavy carbs can alleviate spikes in blood sugars. Consuming calories through other sources such as whole fruits and vegetables can help maintain a constant blood sugar level.

3. Eat at regularly scheduled times.
-You should schedule your meals at about the same time each day. This is extremely difficult for me to do. Skipping a meal can lead to high spikes in blood sugars. Another reason why breakfast is SO SO important.

4. Limit snacking.
-Snacking is the biggest trouble with diabetes. It is a terrible habit of mine that is taking a long while to kill off. Snacking is problematic because it occurs in between meals. When you bolus, insulin takes about four complete hours to be fully activated. After two hours, your insulin is about 50% activated, or has reached about 50% of its potential. If you take insulin for a snack two hours after a meal and notice your blood sugar is high, you may choose to add extra insulin for a correction. This could cause you do go low later during the day because the other 50% of your insulin from your earlier meal has still not hit you yet.


There is many other things I could add into my diabetic life, but I think this is a good start to achieving great health.


What kinds of things do you do to maintain appropriate blood sugars?

I will keep you posted on my success,
The DiaBlogger

No comments:

Post a Comment