Friday, December 7, 2012

Medical ID's

For the most part, my parents stay out of my Diabetes. Because I was diagnosed at 16, the disease became something that I was fully responsible for. Most of the time when they ask me a question about my health I have to laugh a little inside because I can tell that they have no idea what they are talking about. So clearly I rely on my doctor's advice for anything health-related and not my parents. However, last year, when I was moving to Chicago, my parents did demand that I get a medical ID bracelet before I moved away.

I know, I should have gotten some sort of medical ID as soon as I was diagnosed. However, I feel like I was so opposed to getting a medical ID for the same reason I am strongly resisting getting a pump. I hate thinking that knowing that somebody can look and see my pump/medical ID and automatically know my diagnosis. I feel like my diagnosis should be something that I choose to share with someone when I want to.

But my parents were not letting this one go. Plus my doctors were heavily supporting it. So, I started to look at my options...and there were A LOT. I never realized how many options were out there. Due to my insecurities, I wasn't into a charm bracelet that displayed the large red medical cross, so I ended up getting a charm bracelet that I wear frequently engraved with the medical symbol and "Diabetic" engraved underneath it.

 




There are many different websites where you can find various medical ID's such as: Medical ID Marketplace, American Medical ID, or Lauren's Hope. After doing much research I decided that getting a bracelet of my own engraved was the best option.  When it comes to makinga choice as serious as this make sure that you get something that you will actually wear. If you will not wear it, then DON'T get it. The whole point of a Medical ID is to save your life, so putting it on is the first step.

No comments:

Post a Comment