Thursday, December 20, 2012

Timing is Everything

Because I do not use a pump, I face several injections everyday....one of them being my long lasting insulin (I use Lantus). When I was first diagnosed, I was instructed to choose a time of the day that I could take my Lantus everyday. I am not a morning person and tend to be quite the night owl so I decided that I would take my shot every night around bed time--10:30ish. For the most part, this worked great during high school. However, in college it was difficult for me to keep to this 10:30 became 11 and then 11 became 11:30 and also vice versa. I was up late most nights of the week so when I had the opportunity to go to sleep early one night but the night before I had taken my shot at 11:30 then I was forced to wait until at least 11 to take my shot that evening.

I decided that I needed to switch my shot time to around dinner time. It has been working great...but here is my problem: changing my bolus amount. I am reaching a point in my health where I need to up my Lantus dose. This wasn't a problem when I took my shot at 11:30 because my low blood sugar would creep up at about 11:30/lunchtime the next day because it usually hits me 12 hours later. When I recently tried to up my Lantus dose by 1 unit  at 5:30/dinnertime, my low blood sugar hit me 12 hours later at 5:30am..NOT GOOD. I woke up and thought I was already dead--don't you wish you could describe how a low blood sugar feels to someone who isn't Diabetic?

I guess the real problem here is that I need to speak to Doctor/Diabetes Educator that I currently do not have. Unfortunately, because I just moved, I won't be seeing my new Endocrinologist until February. 

How do you guys adapt your schedule when you are changing your long lasting insulin dosage? Does it ever backfire on you like it did to me?

No comments:

Post a Comment